Chris is a Partner at Caudle & Spears who practices primarily in the areas of business litigation and employment law. Chris is licensed in North Carolina and South Carolina and regularly handles matters in the state and federal courts of both states, including in the North Carolina Business Court. He is experienced in all aspects of the litigation process, from commencement of suit through appeal, and he has successfully tried cases to verdict or award in state and federal courts and in binding arbitrations. Chris represents businesses and individuals in a variety of subject areas, including those involving covenants not to compete and misappropriation of trade secrets; business torts such as breach of contract, tortious interference, fraud, and unfair and deceptive trade practices; automobile dealership law; defense of municipalities and their employees in civil lawsuits; and serious personal injury or wrongful death. Chris also advises businesses on human resources and employment law matters; drafts employment contracts, independent contractor agreements, employee handbooks, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, and other employment documents; and defends employers against employment discrimination, wage and hour, and unemployment claims. Chris possesses an AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, signifying that a large number of his peers rank him at the highest level of professional excellence for his legal knowledge, communication skills and ethical standards. For the last four years, Chris has also been recognized by North Carolina Super Lawyers magazine as a Rising Star among North Carolina litigators.
Areas Of Practice
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Law and Litigation
- Employment Law and Litigation
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Appellate Litigation
- Business Law
- North Carolina, 2007
- South Carolina, 2010
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina, 2007
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina, 2010
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina, 2010
- U.S. District Court District of South Carolina, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals Fourth Circuit, 2014
- Duke University School of Law, Durham, North Carolina
- J.D. - 2007
- Honors: cum laude
- Bob Jones University, Greenville, South Carolina
- B.A. - 2004
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Major: Pre-law
- Fighting Terrorism in an Electronic Age: Does the Patriot Act Unduly Compromise Our Civil Liberties?, 2006 Duke L. & Tech. Rev. 3.
- Cunningham v. California, 3 Duke J. Const. L. & Pub. Pol'y Sidebar 85 (2007).
- North Carolina Farm Bureau Mut. Ins. Co. v. Smith, et al., 743 S.E.2d 647 , 2013, N.C. Ct. App.
- Corporate Fleet Services v. West Van, Inc., 3:08-cv-00413, 2009 WL 753432, 2009 WL 5211428 (W.D.N.C. 2009).
- Abdelaziz v. Asmar, No. COA13-1424, 761 S.E.2d 754 (N.C. Ct. App. May 20, 2014) (unpublished), discretionary review denied, 763 S.E.2d 388 (N.C. Oct. 9, 2014
- Bad Faith and Unfair Claims Settlement Practices in North and South Carolina, EMC Insurance Co., February 5, 2013
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating
- North Carolina Super Lawyers - Rising Star (2013-2016)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys